Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It's Kind of a Funny Story

It's Kind of a Funny Story is based on Ned Vizzini's 2006 novel of the same name.  Craig (relative new comer Keir Gilchrist) is 16 and depressed.  His parents (Lauren Graham and Jim Gaffigan) want him to excel and the stress from that, along with everything else in a 16 year old's life leads him to a point where he starts thinking suicide.  Seeking a quick fix, and not really wanting to end it all, he checks himself into a psychiatric ward looking for help.  What he finds are some really unique people including Bob (Zach Galifianakis) who is a longtime patient, and Noelle (Emma Roberts) who's teenage depression is a bit worse than his own.  Zoë Kravitz, Aasif Mandvi, and Jeremy Davies add to the cast.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this one, but I didn't think it would end up being such a heartfelt tale with a delightful sense of humour.  Having been severely disappointed by The Hangover, though I am apparently in the minority on that one, I didn't have much reason to think I would enjoy seeing ZG (as I hope he will become known as very soon and save some pronunciation and typing difficulties) again.  Surprisingly I found him to an extremely likable, believable character that had real heart and a wit sharpened with an unusually shaped blade.  He pretty much stole every scene he was in.

Gilchrist played the introspective indie character role well, not drifting into the somewhat annoying loser territory perpetually inhabited by Michael Cera.  His narration felt genuine and his fantasies were enjoyable.  This is Scrubs, if Scrubs took place in a mental hospital with younger characters and a little bit more seriousness.

I wish Roberts' character was more developed.  She really was important, yet lacked a bit of depth that the other two main players were given.  Nothing against her performance, it seems to be more of a writing thing.  I know this is not her story, but for how important she becomes, not much is said about her.

The supporting cast all does a great job, though I'm not sure why Davie's had the part he did.  I have a feeling it might have been a bigger role that ended up on the cutting room floor.

I really enjoyed this movie, much more than I expected.  I've heard some talk about how it is a bad representation of depression, but I found it to be a positive look at one.  At the same time, it expresses how our problems are not as big as we think - it's all about perspective, while allowing that just because someone "shouldn't" be depressed, it can still become a serious burden.  This movie is probably going to be overlooked by many movie goers and critics, but it shouldn't be.

**** (4/5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment