Thursday, July 8, 2010

Kiki's Delivery Service

Kiki's Delivery Service is the fourth film by the Japanese master of animation, Hayao Miyazaki.  This is the coming of age tale of a 13 year old witch, Kiki (Kirsten Dunst in the more recent Disney dub) as she leaves home for a year of training with no one but her cat Jiji (Phil Hartman, who was murdered by his wife shortly after) to keep her company.

Training apparently means going off to find a place for yourself in the world, not studying with a master, Yoda style.  After some travel by broom and train, Kiki finds herself in a pleasant - if a bit confusing - seaside town.  No one seems incredibly surprised by the sight of a young girl flying on a broom, though most are duly impressed.  In exchange for helping out in her bakery, Kiki is given a place to stay by Mrs. Osono (Tress MacNeille).  She experiences some trials and tribulations as she is (somewhat romantically) pursued by young aviation enthusiast, Tombo (Matthew Lawrence), starts a delivery by broomstick service to make a living, and symbolically faces a temporary loss of her abilities a la Peter Parker.  She also meets a couple of eccentric old women (Debbie Reynolds and Edie McClurg) who seem to have some connection to witches that is never explained, and wise hippy girl (Janeane Garofalo).

I am usually a big fan of Miyazaki, but this movie has proven the exception.  There is not that much that actually happens, there is very little conflict, and little plot.  The characters are simply not strong enough, in my opinion, to carry the film by themselves.  I think the film may have more impact in Japanese culture as it explores the conflict of independence and reliance of others facing young Japanese women.  I suppose to truly judge it I should watch the original Japanese version, though from what I've read, even the subtitles are not completely accurate and I don't speak Japanese.  Even so, there were very few changes made, mostly to make it sit better on the American pallet.

I do get the film - Kiki is trying to find who she is and gain confidence in that person as well as decide what is important to her as she grows up and matures.  I get it, I just didn't like it all that much.  I can strongly recommend any other Miyazaki film, but this one falls a bit short for me.

*** (3/5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment